Sunday, August 10, 2014

Obsidian (Lux #1)




“Beautiful face. Beautiful body. Horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of hot boys.” 

Summary:
Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth. 

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don't kill him first, that is.



My review:
I admit it. I only bought Obsidian because I love the awesome cover. I mean, look at this guy. He (and the cover) have been following me for months before I gave in and finally bought the book - and I never even read the synopsis. 

Now I’m finished with book one and I have 2 things to say:
1) I love this book.
2) I hate this book.

Why I love the book: 
1. The storyline is great. It’s complex and gripping and the danger to Katy and the luxen feels real. Obviously, I had no idea that the book was about aliens and I was surprised and extremely pleased when I found out. I haven’t read much about aliens so far but since I saw the pilot to the new series Star-Crossed I am very open to the topic (Come to think about it, Star-Crossed does bear several parallels to Obsidian).
2. The characters are multilayered and believable (mostly). There’s the usual witty and sympathetic heroine, the drop-dead gorgeous hero, the nice best friend, the jealous ex-girlfriend, powerful and creepy villains and a bunch of side characters that bring the right amount of conflict to make you turn the pages.
3. Katy is a book nerd and a blogger. Do I need to say more?
4. She’s the new girl in school but she isn’t shy or passive about it. She is charming and witty, makes friends quickly and knows how to stay her ground. I liked her.

Why I hate the book:
1. Daemon. What an a****! He’s the reason why I’m so ambivalent about this book. I wanted to like him. I really did. And sometimes I had hope that he can and will change if I just read on. It is obvious that he can be nice if he wants, and it’s obvious (sometimes) that he likes Katy. But most of the times his behavior is unforgivable. He hurts Katy again and again, and although she answers right back, her words just bounce off his arrogant and ice-cold exterior. 
2. Katy. Why does she keep coming back to him? She’s not stupid and she knows very well that what she feels for him is not love but lust. She keeps saying that she doesn’t even like him, and yet, she isn’t able to stay away from him. Is she really that weak? 
3. The language. I don’t mean the numerous expletives, but their repetitions. Daemon and Katy say the same things again and again only to infuriate each other.

This book made ME furious. I regularly got pissed with Daemon for being such an asshole, and then I got pissed with Katy for even reacting to his insults. In my eyes Daemon was not even worth a reply. I wanted her so badly to just turn around and leave but it wasn’t going to happen. And every - seriously every (!) - conversation ends in an ugly argument. Come on, hot guy or not, sooner or later, you just have to realize that you you’re not good for each other.

I’m now halfway through Onyx. I keep reading because I really like the story of the luxen and of course, I still hoped Daemon would change. Unfortunately, it doesn’t get better. He still behaves like a lunatic. One night, he’s nice and lovable, talking like a normal boy, next day all is forgotten and the quarrelling restarts. If this doesn’t stop by the time I reach the end, Onyx will sadly be the end of my voyage with Jennifer L. Armentrout. 

Please, please someone tell me that Daemon will grow up! I really want to continue reading about the luxen, the arum and the DOD. Unfortunately, though, I can’t put up with Daemon. 

“Why are you such an ass?" The words came out before I could think twice.
"Everyone has to excel at something, right?"
"Well, you're doing a great job.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment